Character and Voice

You ever have one of those days where you feel your character and voice down to your soul so that the melodic quality rings your bones. Today was one of those days for me, which got me thinking: How do I make these days happen more frequently--or better yet, every day?

What's an author to do but over analyze the crap out of the situation.

So here's what I discovered about where my head was at today:

Due to a whole lotta crazy the night before, emotions were oozing from my pores. While my character and her voice are different than mine, I know her so well that it was easy for me to transform my feelings to enhance and clarify her voice and actions. I love this character so it made it that much easier to not just mimic her voice but be her voice, embody her.

Now when I sit down to write I am going to add to my prep these three things for enhance character and voice:
  1. Get emotional
  2. Know my character
  3. Love my character
I'll try to remember to update you grrls on how this works out for me. (Stop laughing. I don't always forget!)