Car Maintance

I have had so many calls these past few months from friends and relatives wanting to know if I had time to look at their cars! Most of them were having problems with their service engine soon or check engine lights coming on. This last car was a 2000 Ford Triton SUV V-8 motor. These engines are very hard to work on because of their height and how the motor is positioned in there. I suggested she take it to a local shop for further diagnostics and it was to cold to do anything to it!

Well I didnt have the heart to turn her away after she told me she didnt have the time to take it in. I was in luck because this was an easy one. My pocket scanner pulled up a code for number 6 cylinder misfire. I pulled the spark plug out and found it was corroded with moisture and rust. That specific type of motor has a external coil located at each cylinder along with a boot to cover the sparkplug. After replaceing it she was on her way! She insisted on paying me but I couldn't take any money for somthing that simple.

One other vehicle was my brother in law's van. It died on the highway! After a few simple tests I determined his fuel pump went out. I banged on his gas tank to give the electric pump a jump and he was on his way. I told him banging on his gas tank will only work a few more times if he is lucky!

Im beginning to think about charging these people somthing, especially with the cold weather outside! ha ha
I'm not sure right now. Maybe in the future.

These newer cars require at the least minimum a Pocket scanner and a Digital Voltmeter to diagnose them. I can remember when it was a wrench and a screw driver! Happy Driving!