The Auto Repair Shop's Guide to Effective Yellow Page Advertising


I'm proud of the fact that you have a business that helps people in need. I'm happy that you can trouble-shoot just about any engine/transmission/electrical failure that comes your way. You probably have certified technicians and a state-of-the-art facility. That's a mighty-big investment, to say the least. You should have a pretty loyal customer base as well. But are you aware that one out of five customers move away each year? And a certain number also change shops for a variety of reasons. It's not your fault, but you still have to cope with these facts. So, do you have a Yellow Page ad, or, if not, isn't it time you did? You have an emergency business, like it or not, and you know that the average person uses the local directory to find one.

So, what about that ad? Have you considered what will attract the right consumer? Do you have a marketing background? I thought not. Maybe I can help prod you along. Think about what you can tell your market area about your shop.

What makes you unique? Don't say your price and experience. Everyone of them already says that somewhere. You have to come up with something that will get the readers attention and set you apart from the other guys. Hey, I didn't say that this would be easy. It's about time to seek out an expert, wouldn't you agree? No, I don't consider your average YP rep an expert. For one thing, how much experience do they have?

I was a YP rep and consultant for nearly 25 years and, prior to that, had my own advertising agency. I also have a degree in marketing. I've been designing Yellow Page ads for the past three decades. So I have expertise in YP creation and have advised almost 7000 companies on how to put together the most effective YP ads. I would imagine that using someone like myself could be a good direction. Therefore, you could start by reading a good book on the subject, available below.