Sorta Kinda Healthy Cookies


I have not made these "brownie" style chocolate chip cookies in - probably years. Because what would happen was basically I would eat the whole thing. I would just innocently decide to sit a minute with a cup of tea - and three cookies - four times a day. So, because the kids were so starved for homemade treats, and because I was so sick of buying crappy, expensive store bought cookies - the atmosphere was ripe for my experiment! I made these very delicious chocolate chip bars with half the fat and half whole wheat, half white wheat flour - and - the kids have no idea!! And honestly, as I just took another bite of one, you don't taste any difference! To make these beauties follow the Nestle Toll House Cookie recipe or your favorite chocolate chip recipe. Replace one of the sticks of butter with 1/2 cup of applesauce. Add it in with the butter and sugars. Then replace half of the regular flour with white whole wheat flour. I really like King Arthur brand flour. This does make it a little darker and a little stiffer - but the applesauce helps with that. Spread the whole concoction in a greased glass Pyrex pan and cook for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees. Pull out and let cool on a cooling rack. Then dig in! Having a few a day isn't so bad when they are lightened up a bit! Enjoy!