10,000 All Electric ActiveE Miles


It's day 108 of my ActiveE lease and I rolled passed 10,000 miles this morning. That's an average of over 92 miles driven every day I've had it. However, the car has been for service twice, and once more for the 5,000 mile checkup, so I actually haven't had it for a combined 14 days. Take those days away and I'm actually averaging 106 miles for every day I've had it. Good thing the ActiveE lease has unlimited miles!

My ActiveE with my solar array in view
Driving as much as I do you want to have a car you enjoy driving. If you're going to spend a couple hours a day in your car, you might as well enjoy the driving experience as much as possible. I've been driving about 30 years and have been very fortunate in my life to have been able to afford some very nice cars. I've owned a couple Mercedes, a Porsche Boxster, a twin turbo Mazda RX-7 and even had a Delorean for a while in the late 80's. However I wouldn't trade the ActiveE for any of them. It's such a pleasure to drive and makes the time I spend driving very enjoyable. If  I'm commuting and just want to get from point A to point B, it's up for the task and does so with style. The quiet cabin, devoid of the vibrations that come with an internal combustion engine vehicle, is actually calming and relaxing to drive. Yet if I'm out driving for pleasure and looking for an exhilarating drive, the ActiveE is also up to the task. It has a lot of torque and it's available instantly. It may not be as fast as some of the other cars I've had, but the great torque combined with the strong regenerative braking allows you to drive it car with with only the right pedal under most circumstances, and that is something you just have to experience to really appreciate.

Perhaps the best thing about the ActiveE is I don't have to go to gas stations at all, unless of course I go there for a cup of coffee! All I have to do is take about 10 seconds to plug it in once or twice a day and it's always ready for wherever I need to go. There may be people out there that find it difficult to believe that I average more than 100 miles per day driving an electric car with about a 100 mile single charge range. Even those who do might think it must be such a hassle to plug it in every night and even sometimes at work, but it really isn't. Talk to anyone who's driving an EV now and they'll tell you it's a lot less of a hassle than driving to a gas station and filling up every couple days. Again, I know that may seem odd to someone who has never lived with an EV, but I'm telling you, to me it's the truth. I'd rather pull into my garage and take 10 seconds to plug in than go to a gas station any day, and that's not even considering that electricity is 1/3 to 1/4 the price of driving on gas.