Estimates

I just had a visit from my cousin the other day who was having car problems. On a zero degree day she asked me to go and listen to a noise her car was making. I said sure no problem. I couldn’t do much because of the weather and that day I forgot my tool box. I usually never leave home with out them.



Well anyways just popping the hood and starting her car I heard a really bad grinding noise coming from one of the pulleys driven by her serpentine belt. Normally I would of pulled the belt off and manually spun all the pulleys until I found the one making the noise. But without the tools, I could only guess of where the noise was coming from, which was the compressor.



I advised her to get it to a shop and have it checked out ASAP.

She then told me I was right diagnosing the noisy compressor. She said the mechanic told her she needed a New compressor costing around $1,200.00.



I never bothered to ask her if she got a couple more estimates. In my opinion, they should of given her at least a few different options such as, by passing the compressor with a kit which would of cost her around a couple hundred dollars until she had the money saved up. Or, I was wondering if the compressor clutch, just needed replaced since that was where the noise was coming from.



I also wondered if they realized she was a single mother raising two children by herself ,couldn’t possibly come up with that amount of money all at once. I just only wished I was there to hear their sales pitch!



So if you can, ask about other options available and always get at least 2 other opinions!

Happy Driving!