Find out what they're thinking, easily

Chris Pirillo, Gnomedex Conference founder, video blogger and CNN.com Live technology contributor

We're pleased to welcome back Chris Pirillo for another guest post. After discussing his use of Google Docs to coordinate the Gnomedex conference in his last post, he's here again, this time to offer instructions on how to host a live poll using spreadsheets.

The videos I usually record for YouTube are produced live-to-tape. I gather my audience at live.pirillo.com, with an always-on video feed (which is a free service from ustream.tv) and an IRC channel for interactive chat.

I recorded this "live poll" video after discussing a situation with a few of my chat room moderators. We were trying to come up with a way we could all vote anonymously on an issue at hand. Suddenly, it struck me: why can't a Google Docs spreadsheet form do this? I created the poll, set the options I needed... and the vote was underway. We answered our question quickly and easily - all the while, feeling secure in knowing that none of us were influenced by another's answer.

So, if you want this secure feeling, and instructions on creating a live poll with spreadsheets forms, check out the video, right here:

"