SECURITY: And So It Begins...Will Security Be the Loophole that Allows Steve and Bill to Take Over the World?

A recent article in the International Herald Tribune (Microsoft polishes image with security suite - Technology - International Herald Tribune) touts the joy and sorrow that will be the Microsoft Security Suite. Regardless of how you feel about the imperfections in MS source code, you can't say Uncle Bill didn't wait a long, long time for someone else to clean up his mess. I find it interesting that AV companies didn't jump on the spyware bandwagon sooner, and even more interesting that it took Bill's purchase of Giant AntiSpyware and free distribution of their real-time protection to get the AV industry's attention. From all the hubbub, you'd think that MS was about to monopolize the protection of their own inherent weaknesses--hmmmm. The very thing everyone whines about them not doing (cleaning up their security holes) is the very thing everyone is now complaining about them doing. I'm not just talking about Symantec, et. al., I'm talking about the tech-whiners out there who are never happy with anything anyone successful does--envy hath no restraint.

But what about our growing 2%-ers over at Apple? While the Mac OS does tend to be more secure by default (yes, the advantage of all that well-oiled BSD/UNIX code does come in handy), I get the sense that it's day is soon coming. [Queue Phil Collins In the Air Tonight here.] I also believe that most of the current and upcoming security issues we'll all face, irregardless of OS, have more to do with holes we open ourselves (whether on the network, or within the software we choose to install). It was interesting that Apple recently dumped Virex. I don't believe this was an arrogant attempt to say they're 100% secure (we've all seen the massive security updates this last year), but rather that they're preparing to introduce their own specific, system-wide security package, hopefully ahead of a massive attack. I know, I know, who ever heard of a company be pro-active. Just remember you read it here first.

All this begs the question: Is security the loophole that allows Bill and Steve to reign in more power, or is it a belief that in-house security leadership builds a better worm-trap? I don't know their motivations beyond the bottom line, but I would venture to guess that they don't make such moves lightly.

Let me close with a note to the open source community: I use your products on my machines regularly (both PC and Mac--in fact, ClamXav watches over my Mac at this very moment). I'm no developer, and I try to support (yes, monetarily) those projects that I've found most helpful. Now may be your time to shine in the realm of security. I have no doubt it's a difficult and thankless task, but it could be your chance to do something the big boys at MS, Apple, Symantec, McAfee, etc., never dreamed of--serving the common good.

- Hutch