APPLE/PVR: iPod, schmiPod--You've Missed the Real Story

Yeah, I want one of the new video-capable iPods--I'm only human. But that seems to be all we're hearing about these days. The real story was Steve's "Act I" from yesterday's presentation: the new iMac. Okay, not really the iMac itself, but a new feature called Front Row. Front Row lets you use your iMac as a full-screen media center. His simple comparison of the iMac's new remote with those that come with Windows Media Center PCs said it all. I might be able to navigate the complicated options on WinMC, but my wife, my parents, and even my kids, don't want to. And let me just get it out now because you won't hear me say this often: Steve Jobs was right, this is the way to deal with media at home. Because the iMac allows for an external monitor to be plugged in, that means it can connect to more recent video displays (READ: Digital TVs). Why would I not want to use an iMac as my media center--the cost is about the same.

I won't be rushing out tomorrow to make the move, but it won't be long--my ReplayTV is dying and it has a monthly fee which my new media center won't. Now if I could only get Steve to release Front Row for download to my iBook.

- Hutch